Sunday, April 5, 2009

...Overconfidence and Humility: A Sequel to "Kalokohan ng mga Mahihina"...

I'm home alone, with only my bro and house keepers with us. I technically own the house. I'm still not sure what to do on the 2 free days I have (Thursday/Friday, have work on Tuesday, will fix passport on Wednesday). I'm open for suggestions.

=================================================================

A couple of years back, I posted a blog about my thoughts on the weak(1). Now, I stereotype another population: Ang mga pangit.

Uncle Owe's thoughts: Lahat ng pangit, masungit! This, he says, is mainly because they hate the world around them. Knowing full well that they are ugly, they take offense at people laughing around them, thinking that those people are laughing at him/her who is ugly.

I have my own thoughts: Pag maganda/pimped ang kotse, ang nagddrive ay isang matabang kalbong pangit. 3/5 times accurate, as tested on a regular drive from San Juan to Cainta. This line, I told my brother, who in turn, looked for pimped-up cars. It was easy to spot the drivers, as most of them are blasting sounds with windows down, or have untinted windows.

But fat, bald and ugly they may be, but they normally have a hot chick as a companion. Thus my antithesis to my uncle's claim: Pag pangit, malakas ang loob.  They got nothing to lose, and everything to gain. That's why most of the time, they end up getting what they want. While prettyboys don't want their egos shattered by a beautiful lady, these ugly fellas jump right in and "charm" their way to the girl's heart. They've got nothing to be afraid of, if the girl has a guy, ugly guy can pick a fist fight with him, because his face isn't going to get uglier as it is. Imagine if someone, say the likes of Diego (the fag from Bubble Gang) comes up to the girlfriend, of say, Chris Tiu, and the two get into a fistfight. Even if Chris Tiu beats the hell out of Diego's face, it really doesn't matter, as it looks battered enough not even hit. BUT if Diego gets at least 1 shot in and breaks Chris Tiu's nose, it's a big blow to Chris Tiu's career.

We're no family of lookers, but somehow, these uncles of mine had their share of women in their lives. One quote passed on from my grandfather to my uncles to me may probably best explain it: "Ang yaman nawawala, ang yabang hindi." - Confidence. It's the only thing that's probably more powerful than money. The way you carry yourself, the way you talk, and how you treat someone will make someone like Tado look like freakin Johnny Depp.

Recently, we had a weird run in with a driver (2), which Sir Johnatt, who was with me at the time, candidly said he realized that we were good-looking people. After coming to the realization of confidence and humility, I came to this dilemma: Do I remain as confident as I am, making me one of those people that I talked about, or do I become humble, such that I may still belong to the "good looking" people?

It's a no-brainer. I'd rather be ugly and fun, than quiet but good looking. I may be overconfident, making me like one of those bald, fat, ugly dudes who drive their pimped out cars, but at least the group I'm with will always have a laugh. Kesa puro pa-cute at mananahimik.

I would mention names, but, I'll wait for them to comment and claim to have this confidence.

After all, it's better to be ugly than weak.

==================
Footnotes:

(1)http://voltz2911.blog.friendster.com/2006/03/kalokohan-ng-mga-mahihina/ --> sa tagal, nabura na sa multiply

(2)http://voltz1129.multiply.com/journal/item/145/.in_the_spirit_of_April_FoolsEDITEDmore_faces_more_fun.P...?replies_read=44 --> part after the pictures.

16 comments:

  1. about the weekend activity, if you guys have something in mind, text nyo ako. it seems like i will just be here in the metro. :)

    nakakatuksong magcomment, ayoko rin magnamedrop. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good looking ka naman! hehehehe! num 1 fan! xp
    kakatawa lang yung topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. basahin mo un friendster blog! ndi pa tayo magkakilala nun sinulat ko un.:p haha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. maglalakad siguro ako papunta antipolo church sa friday? or is it supposed to be thursday? ayun. kahit galing junction man lang:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha... been meaning to make this for the longest time. 2 years ba naman kasunod eh. i just can't piece it together. feeling ko nga kulang pa to eh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. wahahaha... magiging #1 fan ka.=P wla ako kilalang iba eh. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha binasa ko!
    wag mo lang lahatin,
    can't deny na may ganun
    pati khinaan ginagawang oportunidad
    mapamaraan ang pinoy eh haha
    pero yun nga wag lalahatin
    wag magkakahon.
    nyahaha sermon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. kita-kits naman!!! :P gusto ko ng kwento like this theory harhar

    ReplyDelete
  9. ndi naman kelangan lahatin, totoo..

    pero kun ndi ikakahon, makalat.:p ndi ko napapansin lahat ng bagay at katangian, kaya madalas, upang makabuo ng teorya, pinapansin ko ang isa, at iniisip kung mei ibang katulad din nito. pag meron, eh di ikakahon.:p kun ndi ako magkahon, walang teorya. isang teorya, maaaring pawalang-bisa.:p

    grabe sermon ate!:P haha... in the spirit of Lent?:p

    ReplyDelete
  10. kaw lang wala eh.:p haha... sabi naman seio every friday meron eh... well.. probably wala this friday...

    ReplyDelete
  11. in the spirit of santino ;-)) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. magsakripisyo ka naman ng isang araw para sa pagkamatay ni bro. good Friday kaya. gusto mo lakad papunta Antipolo Church?:p exercise ka naman!!:P haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. di na nga ako kumakain, di pa ako iinom? erk.. hahaha nyak! tado.. OO mataba na ako! hahaha kailan maglalakad?? nice. hiking! hehehe

    ReplyDelete