Sunday, November 2, 2008

…happiness and miracles…

We’re good. At last. We talked. And we agreed we need to patch things up piece by piece. Relationships don’t work if they’re too simple.

 

I know I seemed down in the dumps as if we’re through, with no hope for reconciliation, but as I said, it was a necessary time for both of us. I just didn’t know how to deal with stuff on my own. I needed perspective. And I have you, who constantly read my blog and comment, to thank for that.

 

I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know who’s supposed to come to who, but I guess with intervention from up above, an opportunity presented itself, and I grabbed it immediately.

 

So now we’re good. My mom was telling me we were fighting over petty things, but like coins, small things can amount to something big if it was collective.

 

 

On Miracles

 

Last year’s F1 season saw a three-way race between McLaren’s Fernando Alonzo and Lewis Hamilton, and Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen. I forgot what the exact circumstances were, but the odds were stacked against Kimi. I think it went this way: Lewis was on top of the standings, but he needed to finish 8th or better in order to win the world championship. Alonzo had to finish 5th or better (I think) if Lewis doesn’t finish 8th or better. Kimi was in a must-win race, and he needed the other 2 drivers to finish badly. Basta. Andaming scenarios.

 

And after everything was said and done, Kimi won the world championship, crushing the record-breaking hopes of the rookie Lewis Hamilton and the gunning-for-a-3rd/4th straight-title Fernando Alonzo.

 

Last night, well, midnight actually, I caught the final 15laps of the Brazilian Grand Prix, the last race of the 2008 season. Brazilian native Felipe Massa, Kimi’s teammate at Ferrari, is now chasing the leader and world-champion hopeful for the second straight year, Lewis Hamilton. Massa is bent on winning his home grand prix for the obvious reason that he wants to win the race on his home soil. Hamilton, on the other hand, just needs to finish 5th or better this time in order to win the championship. Commentators were joking around, saying, maybe Hamilton can just let Massa win it and settle for 2nd, after all, he doesn’t need to win the race to become world champion, while it means so much for Massa to win it.

 

Ferrari’s just praying for another miracle, another glitch that would make Hamilton’s race terrible and make him finish 6th or something, so that Massa would win his home race AND the world championship.

 

And miracle came with about 5 or 6 laps to go in the race. Hamilton was running 5th with Timo(?) Glock of Toyota in hot pursuit. Robert Kubica, of BMW, was 1 lap down, and was blocking the way of Hamilton and Glock. Now, if you’re a back marker (1 lap down), you have to let the drivers drive past you, as a rule, since you can’t reach them anyway, and they have a better shot at catching up to the leader than you do. So, Kubica is obliged to let Hamilton and Glock pass, but in the process of doing so, he somewhat blocks Hamilton, and opens up the lane for Glock to pass both Kubica AND Hamilton. People went crazy, Hamilton drops to 6th, Massa is leading the race uncontested, meaning, their hometown hero looks headed to the chequered flag not only as the winner of the race, but also the 2008 world champion.

 

Rain came down hard, and everyone was going wild. Hamilton can’t get a chance to pass Glock, and they’re still bothered by back markers and the heavy rain. On to the final lap, where the crowd is cheering wildly for Massa, and Hamilton still struggling to finds his chances in passing Glock.

 

Massa crosses the line with everyone at the Ferrari pit lane half celebrating, half anxious about Hamilton fnishing 6th. At the final two turns, Glock somewhat pulls away, and Ferrari crew celebrates yet another miracle, and another World Championship stolen from Lewis Hamilton (actually, if Hamilton finished 6th, he’d be tied with Massa. But then, he’d lose the title to Massa because Massa has more grand prix wins.).

 

And then the unthinkable happened. Glock inexplicably slowed down at the final turn, giving way to Hamilton and another driver to pass him, making Hamilton finish 5th. The celebrating Ferrari crew is directed to look at the screen to see Hamilton’s name on 5th position, and the crowd is stunned.

 

No miracles this year, I guess.

 

I’m just happy I had my own already. J

 

 

Fantasy League

 

Trying out the PBA fantasy league now, and it actually sucks. You only get 5 players, and if you pick another player, you lose the player you had before for the rest of the conference. Bummer.

 

But then it’s fun to tweak your lineups a bit. Then pick good players who’d give great value, drop them to get two-better valued players, and stuff like that. I think you’re going to win something if you top the overall rankings (as in play with the 6k++ people registered) but I’m really not that concerned with that, as I started out 1 or 2 weeks late, so I need to make up for lost time. Big time. So my goal right now is to top the league my classmates and I set up and probably use this as training ground to NBA Fantasy league for next season.

 

Anyway, I had Willie Miller on my team. In choosing my team, I had to pick between Jayjay Helterbrand and Willie Miller. After the game last night, I was only too happy that I chose Willie Miller. Jayjay’s line wasn’t bad, Miller’s was just better. :)

 

 

Emo and Sulking

 

I know my past couple of posts were about sulking and being emo, but I guess I don’t have to prolong it. I was thinking of laying off blogging for a while if nothing eventful ever happened, which wouldn’t be surprising considering my ever-exciting job as somewhat of a glorfied bum. I’d probably write more emo stuff, but more on my thoughts, not calling her out. It’s annoying to read emo stuff over and over again.

 

I blog not to seek sympathy or encouragement, but rather perspective. I may be wrong in doing what I’m doing, and I need perspective that is not mine to better understand my predicament. I understand that this may not probably sit well with everyone, but blogging as I do keeps me from slashing my wrists or going insane.

 

A couple of blogs gave me enough perspective to slap my ego silly, and I just had to deal with loneliness. A couple of sulking, down-in-the-dumps blog. One need not blame everything on anyone or everyone. Shit happens. Deal with it.

 

I’m not saying this because I’m done with my ordeal. I just know what pain it is to read an emo blog over and over again. And I was really, really, waiting for something eventful to happen.

 

So instead of time off blogging, eventful things happened, like the race, the overtime game of Alaska and Ginebra (which gave me great fantasy points pick up), the crazy James Yap buzzer beater (which I didn’t get to talk about), and the reconciliation.

 

Again, emo blogs must be >2. Any more is annoying. Don’t be like “Chuck” who had an annoying phase of blogging.

 

 

Yes “Chuck”. That’s why I asked. =P You are/were THE poster boy for emo blogs on the same topic.

4 comments:

  1. krazeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee games!

    Yap came back to his old self with that Miller-sque trifecta!

    OTs = good for fantasy addicts :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww. buti naman. sana ako din maging okay na hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to here ok na kayo... hehe :)
    Miss you voltz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey pre im glad you're up adn running na, I just hope you two last :D cheers for ferrari!

    ReplyDelete