Tuesday, September 29, 2009

...On Tragedy...

Never in my wildest dreams that these stuff would actually happen within my proximity. Floods that devour houses are, in my mind, reserved for news reports. 

In my 19 years of living here in our current home, we were never bothered by floods, no matter how hard the rain fell, no matter how flooded the other phases were, our home stayed safe. Last Saturday, as my mom was to go to the market, they literally tried every car we had to try to get her there, but the flood was too much even for out 6-wheeler truck. By afternoon, our street had ankle-deep water on the street, which meant that this rain was by far the strongest that we've experienced. My dad and my uncle went to help out at my aunt's house some streets away, as the flood was coming into their house. Some time later, my mom got a message from my aunt saying their fridge fell on my dad's foot.  I rushed without thinking, as I wanted to do what I can to help him. For the first time in my life, I experienced flood that was actually up to my chest, even up to my lips, and even strong currents brought about by the flood. I thought it was a stupid idea, rushing to my aunt's house knowing I'm the only one walking down the street and with just a slip,  I could die, and no one would even know. 

Thankfully, I got through, and learned my dad was ok. I got to help an old lady from across the street who had their house almost completely submerged to move to their neighbor's 2nd floor. But that was all the tragedy I experienced. I can't say the same for all the rest.

All the time that I was at home, bored out of my wits, all I could think of was how my friends were. I can't do a freakin thing, because the rest of our village is pretty messed up as well, and I can't even ask how my friends are doing, and what I could do to help. 

After the storm, my 2 uncles and my aunt's houses were a mess, my 2 uncles both had flood ruin their cars. As for us, we were lucky enough not to have lost anything, nor did we suffer the same fate as millions have. I can't thank the Lord enough. Today, instead of going to work, I helped my uncle out, and asked to help Issa out as well. More than my willingness to help them, I actually wanted to do it to give back to God even just a bit, after keeping us safe throughout this whole ordeal. 

It's refreshing to see strangers helping strangers out. Media pathetically hypes up some prominent people who help out, but really, what's important is that people help people out. Because it didn't just happen over the television. Because we can actually do something to help. 

I would've wanted to write a longer piece on this, considering the time I spent away from the computer. But really, I can't say much about what happened. The wreckage I see outside everyone's houses say enough. Less talk, more do. 

Let's move and try to do whatever we can to help the others. 

8 comments:

  1. Im happy you and your family are safe. I havent heard much from our sdp family and friends. Hope everyone is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. si perk po inabot bahay nila. si issa din, nalubog din ng baha un bahay. but both are ok naman na daw..

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey voltaire. It's good to know you, your family and your house were okay. I'm just glad that our friends were all safe despite the property damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. masarap makatulong. less talk, more do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @niki: thanks. o nga eh..

    @ej: yup. family and friends muna bgo iba.. san kna? kmsta sa inyo? pnapgtrbho pa rn b kyo o sagip kpamilya na function nyo dun?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nanganga-ilangan din kami ng volunteer sa st.paul volts baka gusto mo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. trabaho pa rin pero kung 3p makisagip...sagip sagip lang.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ella: family and friends muna bgo volunteer work.:)

    ReplyDelete