Sunday, May 5, 2013

...Gratitude, for Making Life Worth Living: A Birthday Blog...


"Friends was about that time in your life when your friends are your family and once you have a family, there's no need anymore,"

- Marta Kauffman, Co-Creator of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. on possibly having a reunion movie



I removed my birthday in FB's display so as not to get the automatic "Happy Birthday!" from every random person on my profile. For some reason, I'm actually happy that my birthday's coming up. Turning 27, I don't think it is significant or anything, but I think I almost have life figured out, and I'm happy. I have come to terms with things that I cannot control, and am trying to solve those which I can.

That said, I fear that I'm near a time where I don't need my friends anymore, if the "Friends" creator is to be believed. That is why this year, I am not writing a list of random things I'm hoping on getting for myself or as gifts. I just want say how I am thankful to everyone who has shaped my life to how it is now; family, friends of old, and friends I'd want to be in my future. If you don't already know, let me say this to all of you:


               

I have been a shy boy from a small school, but my confidence has grown leaps and bounds since. I have to thank the familiar faces of my elementary school, Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila School, because I never felt alone during all my years in that school. The boys and mentors of Don Bosco Technical College of Mandaluyong made me more comfortable with myself. The girls of La Concordia College and Don Bosco Sta. Mesa were awesome friends to have as well during that time of my life; here are girls who you can hang out with in just about anywhere, and talk about stuff freely. It was like having a bunch of sisters even if you had just one friend. 



I'm thankful to have my dad, who has given me a wide room to grow on my own. I am especially thankful to have a mom like I have; a provider, an inspiration, and at times, just someone who needs me as much as I need her. I am thankful to have an older sister who has grown with me, as we've been able to keep up our late-night "kapit-kwarto kwento" sessions to Whatsapp talks. I am thankful to have a brother who looks up to me, as it kept me disciplined enough to at least be a worthy role model.

                    

My Lozada family has been awesome. Through their jokes, insults, and laughter, I have learned to laugh at myself, accept what I am, and be happy with it. Their spontaneous decision-making, which I seem to have inherited, is one that taught me great patience. Funny how growing up, I was at odds with my cousin Jon, but we have grown to be brothers as we have grown up. All my cousins have made my childhood fun to look back to; from crazy games, petty fights, scars from playing, the sleepovers, and just all the good times. I wouldn't want to trade it up for anything. My uncles and aunts have, in their own weird way, taught me lessons along the way deliberate or not, at times alcohol-induced, but not all the time. Since we lost Tito Nandy, my godfather, I have tried my best to grow up as fast as I can so that I may be able to have adult talks with all of my other uncles and aunts. As they have their own fields and led different lives, I have learned a great deal about life through their personal experiences and wise counsel.

                 

I have not been particularly close with my Coo family, but I am thankful that I am given such trust by my Uncle Edwin to work in his company. I am thankful to be in a position during gatherings where I'm young enough to keep up a conversation with my cousins, but old enough to offer insights to my uncles on other topics. It also feels nice to reconnect with my cousins I have not been able to see as much as I've seen my Lozada cousins growing up. Despite just short conversations, I genuinely feel an appreciation on both our parts on wanting to establish our connections. Growing up, Philipp and Richard were the closest to our age, and they're cousins I wished I could've spent more time with.

            
                  
   

I'm thankful for my SDP family, who have guided me through college. Over the years, I feel that it may have evolved and may have taken a different direction from how I came to know it. Still, it has been nice to know the older alumni who have directly or indirectly inspired me not only in student politics and the AB life, but also how to handle life outside of college.


Kuya Ags and Ate Puch, who will finally tie the knot soon, have been two of my biggest reasons why I stayed in SDP, and continue to support the party even years after I have graduated. The family of lovely ladies (Ate Puch, Ate Pat, Ate Len and Tring) was gracious enough to accept Kuya Ags' boy, and we later welcomed a younger brother in the fold in Nico. This bond with them is one I always treasure, with or without them knowing about it.





The Mares and the Stellans - Che's friends - have been very welcoming. Thank you for the friendship, and making me feel like I am a friend as Voltaire the person, and not just Che's boyfriend.



My Philosophy blockmates have been great. For three years in college, I've spent most of my time outside of our classrooms to attend to extra-curricular matters. Yet despite the relatively short amount of time I've spent with them, they have all given me the opportunity to enjoy their company. In our Yahoo!Groups, I actually segregated the class in a way that I saw, and labelled every group. One of the groups, which I dubbed as "Team Flow" because they were already a 5-man basketball team (Kali, Robert, Christian, Imon, and Leonel, plus team manager Rey) and they were a group that "always goes with the flow" when a situation arises, actually kept their name. Over the years, the composition changed, and the relationships between the people in it have grown. Despite the childish label, I am thankful to be part of a group that I know I can count on in my worst times. This group now of Kali and Arianne, Imon and Ella, Benjo and Carin, Jan and Ariane, Chrisitian, Robert, and Rey, are friends I'd want to grow old with as we watch our kids grow old together as well.



The unlabeled group of friends I have with Ate Sof, Ate Len, Ernestine (my after-10PM ates), Ate I, Josef, Chip, and "Little S" Satrina, is one that I love to laugh with (special shoutout to Katrina abroad). I know exactly when this friendship started, how I somehow became part of this group, and I'm happy that I am. Even if I get SMS invitations after 10PM. During these times of late texts, I become uncertain as to whether or not I actually belong in this group, but I do want you guys to know that I love you all, and I thank you for being a part of my life.


The Hungry Rover team is a group that I barely hang out with outside of business, but they're a fun bunch. Ate I and Josef are in the other group, Mina has made things happen for this business, and Meo's been a great boss. Ate Abby, Kuya Bong, and our little promoter Gab have been an awesome team for the food truck. It's been about five months, and we're still learning. Our families have been supporting us from day 1.


I'm thankful for my somewhat best friend, Issa, for a friendship that I never thought was possible. She has been a wingman of sorts, an ear that listens, a person in need, and just a friend I can hang out with. She's been the Robin to my Ted, minus the romance.


I want to thank that girl from Canada, Katie. In a short while, you have made me feel special, and taught me not to be afraid of keeping my feelings. You were the chance I'm really glad I took. Thank you for the chance of letting me get to know you.


And finally, thank you, Che Marcaida, for being you. For "us". We have not been perfect, but we have made everything work. I know that you are trying to be the best that you can be, as I have been trying to be my best as well. Over the past 8 years, our relationship has evolved constantly as we have grown older together. Whatever happens, I regret nothing, and I value dearly every moment that we have spent together. Thank you for the patience, the memories, the present, and the future. Thank you for being a part of my life.

========================================================================

It has been a great 26 years. I've been with a lot more people, but I can't thank each and every one. I have lacked sleep because I always try my best not to miss out on a chance to be with friends or family. I think I want that sleep time now. I can't be everywhere, but I try to be. I probably won't try as much now, but know that I would if I can, especially for those on this list. I was always an easy person to please, and I never really wished for too much. I didn't wish for any of these people around my life, but I'm lucky to have been graced with all of them.

Thank you, everyone, for a life worth living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment