Monday, December 7, 2015

...Post-Wedding Review Part 1 - Thank You...

It’s been a while since I wrote for fun. I guess that happens when you earn from writing about different stuff – you choose to spend time writing a piece that could earn you money than write for the sake of writing.

Today, and probably the next few days, I will waste my time writing for the sake of writing because I’m happy. I am, after all, a married man now. In this first part of the series of blogs I am about to make, I want to express my gratitude to the people dear to me the best way that I can - through writing. Later, I’d share my wedding day experience and my reviews of our suppliers to help provide insights for those who are planning to get married. I personally relied on some reviews over the internet in preparation for our wedding, and hopefully, these reviews could help those who are almost there to prepare for their big day.

First of all, thank you to everyone’s well-wishes. It fills my heart with joy to know that we are loved by so many. As I start a new life in a new home, I leave my home country with too many people I care about. While it pains me not to be that guy you could call on anytime, I need to choose me this time. This blog is for all of you who I will dearly miss, and look forward to meeting again whenever I visit or when we decide to return home.  

To Che, my lovely wife, sinabi ko naman sa ‘yo noon, na pangarap ko lang naman ay maging tatay sa magiging anak natin. Salamat, at naka-isang hakbang na tayo patungo sa direksyong iyon. I chose you because I chose me. I can let go of everyone else I love to build a new life in a new home because growing old with you is what matters to me most. I love you.


To Mama, thank you for all your support. Our wedding may not have run as smoothly without you constantly being at our side. Thank you for opening up to me, and trusting me with your burdens, as it has helped me aspire to become the kind of man who would not put those burdens on anyone else.

To Papa, thank you being our provider and our model. I would not have become the kind of man that I am today if not for the perspectives you have shared through the years. You have molded me into a balanced man – emotional, but sometimes stoic, impulsive, but always practical. I have been able to enjoy life to its fullest, because you taught me to always choose to be happy. ‘Ika mo nga, “wala namang problema sa mundo, ikaw lang ang nagbibigay ng problema.”

To Ate, thank you for always having an open ear, and for trusting me to have the same. Your little bundle of joy in Khail has been a source of happiness for all of us. I will see more of you here in Singapore.

To Job, thank you for looking up to me. You have given me reason to feel cool even though I grew up as a nerd. I sincerely hope that I turned out to be a good role model for you, and I promise to strive to be better so that I can give you more guidance as we grow older.

To Jon, my cousin, my brother from another mother, thank you for being who we turned out to be. You have helped me realize what growing up is – our early childhood rivalry became a deep friendship that spanned angry girlfriends, a car to motorcycle accident, cooking lessons and countless other memories. Kung mabibisita ko lang yung 13 at 14 years old na tayo at sinabi kong ganito tayo ngayon baka namura at nagulpi ako nung dalawang yun. If there’s anything that I regret about our relationship, it’s that we weren’t able to cultivate it early enough. Know that I will always have a bottle to share with you whenever I visit home, and I will always have one ready when you visit me here.

To the Lozada Family, thank you for being a happy bunch of people to grow up with. I have you to thank for all the friends that have grown to love me, because if not for you, I may have just been a nerd who never spoke much. You have taught me to learn how to laugh at myself, and how to appreciate people no matter where they come from. You have taught me to always see the best in people, but also helped me learn to become a good judge of character. Thank you, Lolo Upoy and Lola Nena for raising these people well. Thank you to my cousins, who gave me a colorful childhood. Thank you Tita Men, Tita Gong, and Tita Jean, for helping Lolo and Lola raise your brothers and sisters. Thank you Tita Bem and Tito Nandy, for being as strong as you are when you still lived. I know you are watching over us from the heavens. Thank you, Auntie Ne, for being a stern but loving aunt to us all from childhood until now. Thank you, Tito, for being always being available to help. Thank you, Uncle Jer, for the carefree camaraderie that made me comfortable with just about anyone. Thank you, Tito Vic, because of your calm life lessons in random drinking nights. Thank you, Uncle Owe, for both fun and serious talks, for messages of both precaution and hope. Thank you, Uncle Jun, for all the life lessons and all your efforts to bring this huge family together. Thank you, Tita Oyes, for being the most kikay balahura tita that I have. Believe me, that is a compliment. I love you all.

To the Coo family, thank you for being a welcoming bunch to be with. Thank you Amah and Ang Kong for raising your children to become the people they are now. Please don’t hurry joining Ang Kong, Amah, and just enjoy the rest of your life without stressing out about everything you don’t need to. Thank you Tito Edwin and Tita Anna, for everything you have done to help shape me to become the professional that I am now, for trusting me with everything that you did. I only hope that I was able to fill the shoes I needed to fill. Thank you, Nic, Auds, and Erika, for being my little sisters while I was working with your dad. You are awesome, and I will miss our Saturday lunches talking about random stuff. Thank you, Uncle Hero and Tita Nene, for being a constant source of inspiration. Mama shares your difficulties with me, and I am always amazed at how you both managed to overcome the challenges that came your way. To Hil and Hux, thank you for becoming as humble as you both are. It speaks of the kind of people your parents are, but not everyone can have the character to choose to become who you both are today. Thank you Tita Emy, for being someone Mama can speak to when she feels that no one understands her. I only hope that things get better for you. Thank you, Richard and Philipp, for being older brothers I could look up to when our cousins were still little, and I wasn’t used to being a kuya yet. Thank you AJ, Ate Let Let and Shobe, for keeping in touch throughout the years. Thank you Tita Evelyn, for all the patience you have given Amah. Thank you, Kuya David, for being a connection to home for Ate along with Richard here in Singapore. Thank you, Ate Dabie and Ate Daisy, for always making an effort to connect our families through momentous events of your kids.

To Team Flow, my brothers, thank you for welcoming me into your circle even though I spent much of my time in college with other people. I still hope that our kids grow up together, because I know my kids will grow up in great company with yours. Tian, nasabi ko na gusto ko sabihin sa yo nung gabing bago ako umalis. Benj and Carin, thank you for being an inspiration in making things and decisions work. Kali and Eekay, stay happy. Imon and Ella, choose to be happy. Jan, choose. Rey, decide. I will miss being with you all.

To the Familia – Kuya Ags, Ate Puch, Ate Len, Tring, Ate Pat, and Nico – thank you for not losing touch. To Kuya Ags and Ate Puch, thank you for believing in me since my first year in college. You have no idea how much you have built my confidence through the years. To Tring, thank you for introducing Nino. I have nothing left to say to you. Joke lang :p haha… Thank you for being the sweetest little sister in our family. To Ate Len, mamaya ka. To Ate Pat and Nico, we miss you. J

To the Happy Friends - named as such because of always being happy, and because at one point yun ang pangalan ng chat thread - thank you for the happiness. To Sof, Ernestine, and Len, thank you for being my ates when Che and I split up. Nagsarado man ang buong Ortigas Depot at ang roofdeck natin, walang makakabawi ng mga alaala natin dun. Salamat sa mga luha at tawa ni Ernestine, sa mga praktikal na bilin ni Sof, at sa kalmado at minsang supladang mga pananaw ni Len. Ang masasabi ko lang, “muwah!” Thank you, Josef, for all our isolation moments to talk about basketball even if the ates are there. Thank you Ate I for insightful perspectives and writing rakets. Thank you, Chip (kabertdey!), for being a wonderful husband that my dearest Ate Sof deserves. Thank you, Katrina, for Mark. Hahaha.. joke lang :p Thank you for being a fun loving person I pictured you to be when Sof an EJ were telling me stories about you. Thank you, peys, Perk and Ken, for always being the life of the parties. Sana makasama ako sa susunod na Christmas party.

To my SDP family, thank you for being the organization that introduced Che and I. More than that, thank you for making me feel that I mattered, for valuing me in more ways than one. For the friendship and trust, thank you to all my kuyas - Kuya Jeff, Kuya Christ, Kuya Chito, Kuya Ren, Kuya Mark, Kuya Chan – for always being there to guide me in my early years in college. To all my ates – Ate Joy, Ate Maita, Ate Jean, and many more that I may fail to remember right now – thank you for believing in me and what I could do. To SDP batch 2006, thank you for adopting me as if I was your own. To SDP batch 2007 – thank you for an unbreakable bond that has helped us remain friends to this day and beyond. To the younger batches, thank you for the respect that you honored me with.

To my basketball buddies – the guys from Solar, Papawis Weekly crew of Mack, Holiday and Random Basketball practices organized by Marlowe, Pasig Friday Basketball care of Totz, and Thursday Night Lights care of Reg – thank you for accepting me into your circle. I may not be the best ball player out there, but thank you for letting me enjoy my passion for the sport by playing my heart out with you guys. I can only hope that I meet people who are half as good as you guys here in SG.

I may have missed out on some people; I know because I met so many people along the way. I would add them later if need be, but for now, these people need to know how much I am grateful to have them in my life.

I will build new relationships here in Singapore, but know that I will always treasure you all for the rest of my life. I hope to see you all again soon!


1 comment: