Thursday, March 5, 2009

...on getting old, modern communication, and wishlist...

On each passing day, we grow older. But I didn't seem to realize that until now...

Funny, when one remarks "Ang tagal ko na nag-aantay dito! 10 years na!" as if 10 years was such a long time. Sure it is, but I don't know if I want to accept it as "a long time" already. I feel like it's not, because everything that's happened 10 years ago feels like it was yesterday. But how did I come to the realization that 10 years was such a long time?

Well, first, there were these establishments celebrating 10 years of existence, one that I could point out (because it's the latest I've seen) is TImezone. The popular arcade is actually celebrating it's 10th year now as if it was an institution already. Though I thought it was as well, the first thing that popped into my head was "10 years pa lang sila?" Which made me feel old because it meant that 10 years is enough for an establishment to become an institution in it's field.

But the dagger goes: you know back in the day (or even these days) when your parents decide to turn up the sound systems in your home early on a Sunday morning and you wake up to an instrumental intro followed by a "Oohohnly yoooooooouhhhh...."? During those times you'd rather hear E-heads, or in my case, BSB, but radio stations decided to dedicate this one day to the old people, so that they could listen to their music. Now, Mellow 94.7 gets this bright idea to dedicate Saturday to the 90's, like it was the classics. Demmit. The thing that gets me is that I'm singing along to 98%of the songs they play on a Saturday!

==============================================================

Cellphone and Drama

I was watching "Tayong Dalawa" the other night and it got me thinking, cellphones make drama on TV or in the movies pretty much restricted.

In a scene, Kim's dad (whose name is at the tip of my tongue) argued with Jodie which led to him throwing Jodie out of the house. Kim later goes down with all of Jodie's belongings, where they talked; Jodie asking Kim to go with her, but Kim refuses because she promised her mom she wouldn't leave her siblings behind. They then bid farewell to each other.

Now, had this scene happen pre-cellphone era, it would've been dramatic. It would be the last time that Jodie and Kim would see each other, and Jodie would have no idea what Kim's dad would do to the kids. But we now have the cellphone. And whenever Kim gets hurt, audiences would think Kim's too stupid not to use her cellphone to communicate with Jodie.

Goodbye is never really "goodbye" nowadays, as the wonders of the internet and mobile communications give us plenty of means to keep in touch.

===============================================================

A Wishlist of Needs/Wants

I got a lot of things I want. Now that I'm working, I should've been able to get all these stuff. But personal decisions about my finances have hindered me from getting the stuff I want. Anyway, I'll put on a list which I hope I'll be able to cross out one by one eventually.

1. A Coat - I don't want a full-on suit, I could make that happen. The important thing is the coat. I could use it for like any type of pants. I think I'll get myself one by May.

2. PSP Holder - I've seen one that I like, it's going to cost me 550. This is probably the first one I could cross off my list. It's going to be handy especially once I get a bunch of movies/series in my PSP.

3. PDA Phone - At one point in my life, I thought I had it all, I had a family to love, Che to love outside of the family, a couple of cars I could borrow from them, friends here and there, a job, a Palm, a PSP, and a kickass PDA phone. Then I started to get pissed off by the phone which had several issues. Then came the night when everything was coming along great, with all my cousins present. And my mom had to call. And I had to get all worked up because of alcohol. Then because of tantrums I had to slam both my PSP and my PDA to the ground (both were in a bag. It was the bag that I slammed, actually), which caused my PDA's touchscreen to be smashed, never to be used again. Oh well, I'm now again in search of that one thing that makes my gadget line complete: a PDA phone.

4. Lava Lamp - For decorative purposes, I think I'd like to have a lava lamp in my room. I don't know who else would appreciate it, I mean, how many people would actually be able to see it? Then again, I think if I had one, I'd have to invite people to go on sleepovers and stuff just so I could show my lava lamp off. This, out of the blue, was offered by ate as a birthday gift. I have no qualms.

5. TV set - I have a small TV set in my room. It's been good enough, but lately, it's been it's having it's issues. Anyway, I'd like to have a new one, preferably bigger, but if budget would get in the way, I'd settle for something light at least.

I already have an external hard drive (salamat ulit ate) so I guess I'll keep that list first, then if I get them all crossed out, I can move on to the next ones. :)

7 comments:

  1. dati parang ang sakit tanggapin na hindi na ko kolehiyo. at dahil nagtratrabaho na ako, yung buhay saya ko ay di na tulad ng mga bata. struggle din ito nung nag uplb ako kasi ramdam ko yung saya ng kids na di natutulog sa gabi habang ako, dahil ako ang magtuturo sa umaga at di owedeng maging wasak, ay matutulog ng maaga aga kumpara sa kanila.

    ngayon hindi na din bagay sa akin ang mga dati kong accessories na pambata. surrender na ako sa mga makukulay kong hair clips. may iilang araw na lang yun bagay sa akin, usually mga tipong once a week. sabi nila kasi for women, your features slowly refine when you get near mid twenties. peak nga daw ng beauty ang 25. ewan, basta nagiba na din itsura ko. di na ko ganun kamukhang bata although mukha pa din akong estudyante.

    what i'm trying to say is, ngayon tanggap ko na. there's nothing wrong pala with accepting that i've grown up and am growing older. slowly nagiiba na ang mga sinusuot ko. mas trip ko na ngayon ang muted or earth tones. but i'm at peace with it. :)
    in fact, naghahanap na nga ako ngayon ng sense of stability, which i think is instinctive for this age range.

    kung dati anti-aging, nagyon i propose let's all age gracefully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. maganda pa din ang tayong dalawa! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nak ng tokwa.. nanonood dn ako ng "tayong dalawa".. wahaha..
    kahit ayoko kei kim nd gerald..
    mganda naman kse ung story.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. di man bagay seio ang mga pambatang accesories, gumaganda ka naman... nax!!:)

    my thing with the 10 years is not too much of a physical thing. i mean, it's probably the fact that with time flying by so fast, i feel as if i've done less with my life than i should've had considering 10 years is "long". hence parang ayoko tanggapin na ganun na katagal ang 10years, not because of aging, but rather because it's making me feel too under-accomplished.:p

    ReplyDelete
  5. pota nga eh. 2 araw ako naka-miss.. tsk.

    family bonding na namin un eh... haha... nakakarelate kasi tatay ko kei david sr...:P

    ReplyDelete
  6. ako bumibilib na kei kim at gerald, pero putanginang jake. anlabo. alam mo un mga mushy moments dapat? pag si jake nagsasabi gusto ko ibato un TV eh...

    ReplyDelete