Monday, August 17, 2009

...On Facebook and Technology, Status Updates, and Emo-ing...

I was listening to the morning show on Magic earlier today, as my normal day usually goes. Then this girl calls up and she sounds hot. And she has that voice that doesn't just sound hot, hers was like it's impossible to have an ugly face with that voice. Then the hosts ask for her Facebook account.

Looking back, I met my first girlfriend through texting. I met a couple other female friends in the same manner. And out of 4 who I thought would look attractive, only my first gf would hit the mark. The other 3? Well. 

They sounded good, my first gf actually gave my number to someone who had a high pitched, soft voice who'd pass as a hot sounding chic if not for my Don Bosco-infused skill of knowing a gay guy miles away.

Now, as it seems, the kids no longer have the luxury of excitement, of the mystery of what the person on the other end might look like before they actually meet in person. The "grand eyeball" for chatrooms no longer have much sense, because of the advent of that which we call networking sites, namely, Facebook, Multiply, and whatever.

Now, before anyone makes a move on someone, you gotta look at their page to see if you'd like them.

Technology also seems to have somehow eliminated some plots for movies. Case in point: one time in the series Tayong Dalawa, Kim Chiu's dad and Jodie Sta Maria had a huge fight, which led to Jodie leaving their house. Now, what seems absurd in that scene was that Kim was crying like she'd never get to see Jodie again, when there are so many ways to keep in touch.

Cellphones and the Web have made communication so much easier for us now, that it's almost impossible to just disappear from one's life once you've become part of it.

It's a double-edged sword really.

=============================================================

On Status Updates

When you fill something official up, there's a part there where you have to indicate your marital status:

Single
Married
Widowed

In no f'n official document would you see something that says "it's complicated". What the hell is so complicated with what you have? You're not even married.

Fine, I will put into consideration that that status is reserved for my uncle. He's not married, has a some kids with a couple of women (that I know, if there are others, I am not aware of it yet), but has been going steady with one woman for the longest time. THAT is f'n complicated.

But to say that you're "in a complicated relationship", I don't know, is it really THAT complicated or do you just want people to notice your new status? It's either you're in a relationship or you're not. Anything else in between, it's not that complicated.

=================================================================

Emo-ing

(Usual emo-rant. Turn back now.)

I don't know where I'm at right now, or where I should be. I assume that I was the one she was waiting for when she was online and I wasn't. I assume that she wants to talk to me. I assume that she wants to come back for me. I assume that I'm part of whatever decision she decides is best for her. I assume that I matter. Because she does to me.

I hear her, and I think I get what she's saying, but I don't want to understand what she's saying, I don't want to believe that she's saying it unless she says it outright.

Who I knew was a person so honest with her feelings now seems to put me in a guessing game.

I was never too much of a looks-person. I hate make up. What's crappy is that I can't hold her since she went back to Canada, and now, I don't even get to see her no matter what I do?

I need to wake up from my dream, but I just don't seem to want to let it go...

1 comment:

  1. Cellphones and the Web have made communication so much easier for us now, that it's almost impossible to just disappear from one's life once you've become part of it. - DITTO.

    ReplyDelete