Monday, August 17, 2009

...On Niceness, and One's Spot in the World...

Good things happen to good people, they say. That's probably true on some occassions. But most of the time, these "good" people gets screwed over. Watch "Wow Mali!" or any gag show. Those who try to help the prankster end up being the object for laughter. Prank callers usually get their fill with people who actually answer calls.

Now, I go to the assholes, those who don't care about the rest of the world, just themselves. They don't get sucked in to a gag show prank because even if the prankster's bleeding to death, the asshole won't bother even coming near. Prank callers don't even get to have a chance to spill their punchline because the asshole dropped the call.

Come to think of it, assholes somehow have the life.

I think I can claim that I'm generally a good guy. I was brought up being educated with the life of St. Lorenzo Ruiz, inspired by the teachings of St. John Bosco, enlightened by some works of St. Thomas of Aquinas, and influenced by my parents' struggles. Much of an ass I may be, I know where to draw the lines. I degrade people (without their knowledge most of the time) for the intention of having fun, but not to blatantly spit at their whole being. I've been in trouble for doing that to either sensitive or relatively new acquiantances, but anyone who knows me, especially the Team, knows that it's all in the name of fun. I know my flaws and can laugh at them as well, so it doesn't really matter if people start shooting insults at me. It's just a matter of whose head blows up first.

Relationship-wise, first-hand experience from my mom taught me how to take care of a woman. I think that somehow, I inherited her being emotional, and how to love and trust that one person she thought was "the one". The difference between her and me, however, is that she's such an introvert who never really had friends, while I think I inherited my dad's ability of talking to just about anyone.

Hence, I've always had the idea that that person I'm pursuing is the person I'm gonna be with for the rest of my life. I've had 2 serious relationships in my life, and wanted to throw everything I had known as my life for a third one, but nothing apparently worked out.

The first, ended up with distance, but later on I found out it was because of another guy. The second one ended for reasons that seemed mutual then, but later seemed incomprihensible, and now probably irreparable. The almost-not-quite ended with three statements: "You're acting as if we're a couple. And I hate it. Bye." It was as brief as the time we spent together.

This sucks, really. It should've just ended when she left. At least that was a decent goodbye. But I thought she was my dream girl. And when you have a grasp on your dream, you don't let go of it. I didn't. Despite the infinite barriers that come between us, I didn't want to let go of it. It was illogical, pointless, and nonsensical. But wasn't that how love was supposed to work? It didn't always have to make sense, it just had to be something you wanted to do.

Going back to assholes and nice people, I think this isn't working out for me. I don't like to flirt around because it's not me, even if my bloodline proves otherwise. Heck, I'm named after my grandfather, for crying out loud. Blame it on me inheriting my mom's emotions, but I never saw women as tools. I know assholes who'd take what they want in a girl and leave them as soon as a new flavor comes along. Somehow, I'm being given the impression that that's how the world should work: You either eat or be eaten, kill or be killed, leave or be left.

Frankly, I don't seem to understand how relationships should work. I was told not to look too far ahead of the future, but being short-sighted shows your lack of commitment to what you have. I was told to be there for your other half, but sooner or later, you'd be labelled as being too clingy. Long distance relationships never work out, they say. But, isn't it that relationships are supposed to be up to the people involved in it? Come to think of it, short or no-distance relationships wouldn't work too, if the people in it don't want to make it work.

So the difference between being nice and being an asshole works this way: the nice person will be sulking at his loss, while the asshole shrugs his shoulder and moves on to the next.

Tell me then, aside from the mystical ideas of heaven, karma, and reincarnation, what good does being good bring?

==================================================================

A Spot in the World

There was a time in life where I knew my definite place in the world. I am a friend of all and the love of one. But one shift made it all so blurry.

When before I didn't have much need for my friends except for occassional drinking sessions, watching games, playing games, and talks because I had everything I needed in one person, now, I seem to be lost in trying to figure out what kind of friend I've been to my friends for me to be part of their world as much as I want them to be part of mine.

From what I've learned, assuming your spot doesn't work out too well.

I thought I was part of the reason she wanted to go home. I assumed I was the person she was waiting for when she was online and I wasn't. I assumed that we shared something. I assumed that she thought I was worth it. Because she was. Because I thought we did. Because I always wait for her to go online. Because I wanted her to be back here, so that I can be with her.

But apparently, we're not the same person. We don't feel the same things. The consequences of the actions of another generate different reactions from different people.

I trust people easily. I always believed that if you don't screw a person over, that person will treat you the same way. It's hard for me not to trust, to assume goodness in another person, and thus to expect goodness in return.

Assuming begets expectations, and when expectations don't materialize, you're bound to be broken.

Now to keep friendship, I must elevate Article 145 of the Bro Code to one of my life's priorities.

===================================================================

Hay.. Pag walang ginagawa sa office. Tsk.

19 comments:

  1. Hope.. of a better tomorrow. :)
    ------

    ah yes. Bro Code to the rescue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty as charged ako! Hahaha. And in those long years of experience (and being broken too many times), I learned not to expect much. I think of it as a way of surprising myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but does he even care? at least he's banging someone else now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caring is out of the equation. ASSHOLE, remember? And even if he is banging someone else, he can't avoid the fact that his life is going to the dogs. Assholes seem fun, carefree, devil-may-care shit attitude but they are the most empty people. Fun cannot always fill your life. And banging people can only relieve you of the itch. Not cure it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. who would know? I've been playing the good guy part ever since and aside from being bragged as mabait (o sobrang bait at times) by my friends, wala na kong alam eh....

    Inum tayo ser!..

    ReplyDelete
  6. @maix: i'm generally a happy person. so feeling shit isn't my cup of tea.

    @fhadz: i'm still talking to sop about where i'll be tonight, but i guess it's either going to be in makati or ortigas.=P

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Voltz: Good for you. So generally, you are a happy good guy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i guess.:P if you put two and two together.

    which is why i somehow envy the assholes. yeah you'd think karma would get back at them and all, but at least, for the time being, they're happy with what they're doing. they have the ability to hurt people, but not getting hurt themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ability to hurt people - that's nothing to be happy about. Assholes have calloused conscience na (hahaha) cos they only think about themselves. Which shouldn't be the case IF they tried fighting back the asshole-ness in them. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. because it's frowned upon by society. but at the end of the day, they're good. the other is miserable. who'd you rather be?:p

    ReplyDelete
  11. one more difference lies in the fact that girls do remember...we remember the assholes who ended up breaking our hearts and our egos, and those who never meant anything but good. And despite who we screwed for the sake of the other, we always remember to say a small prayer for the happiness of the nice one.

    cheesy no? pero true!!! Sabi ko nga, it is in the order of the universe to break couples who aren't good for each other, apart. Yan ang hustisya. Pag di ka deserve or di mo deserve, walang patutunguhan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Voltaire, welcome to the Singles club, where you hesitate to enter. Enter, and be merry! hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wahahha.. cheesy.=P air must be good in LB.=P

    but that prayer won't bring them back, will it? what if happiness was "her"?

    and how the hell does one determine who deserves who? everyone gets to say "you deserve better" and shit, but at the end of the day, you find your own hapiness and live with it, not them. so if you think you are happy with what you have, and there's nothing wrong with it, why not just settle down with it and be contented?

    my mom's car has been with us for the longest time. it's been driven by my mom, my sister, and now, me. there's nothing wrong with it, and despite the avanza offer (let me forget about the crosswind), she's contented with what she has.

    it's not that one deserves someone/something better. if one wants to make it work, it's gonna work. even oil and water can be placed in the same glass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's frowned upon by society because HURTING people causes trouble, pain, and what else. Negativities. At the end of the day it SEEMS good. But it is NOT good. If we justify hurting by measuring how much a person gets happy doing it, well, that's just perverse. Hahahaha. :)) I'd rather be the good one. I am always the good one. If I hurt someone I carry it all throughout my life. That is burden enough, so I try not to hurt people. I just feel so bad about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. tama.:)



    Probably, the best thing/relationship we can have is our relationship with ourselves, that no matter what happens-the ups, the downs, the this, the that- you are always with yourself. Get up again when you get knocked down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @maix: sure, you'd want to be the one who'd have the ability to hurt, kasi if you had that power, you wouldn't use it. that's what goodness is. and that's what is being taken advantage of by others.

    @ella: of course it is.=P but as per my thesis, a meaningful life involves your relationship with the rest of the world.=) haha..

    ReplyDelete
  17. but no one deserves someone who isn't willing to make things work, but instead bullies you into a corner where you find yourself doing things that won't make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. yeah, but my point is, both parties should be willing to make it work. if one doesn't want it to work anymore, must he/she say that the other "deserves someone better"? just leave and say it's not working. parang "it's not you, it's me" lang un eh.=))

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha. i get it. pero in essence nga, kung ganun ex mo, you do deserve better.

    ReplyDelete