Sunday, February 17, 2008

...on disappointment and optimism...

I've been blogging ever since the incident started... Well-wishers and concerned people express their support and prayers for everything that has happened... People have re-posted, people have commented, not only here, but also for the other blogs... I do my best to scour the net to look for blogs concerning the events happening in the controversy and try to speak on what I know about it...

With all the positive remarks and responses, I felt that the call for the Makati demonstration would gather people... As it turned out, it was a gathering of militant groups... It looked many if you watched it on TV, but I don't know, I felt that it wasn't enough to threaten the "stubborn mule" that is the president... I was honestly disappointed... I seriously thought of just migrating somewhere, a thing that never in my wildest dreams I have considered... I was thinking, "man, a man stood up for these people, and all they can do is watch on TV what's happening? A man said that 'this nation really is worth dying for' and poured his heart out amid the administration lapdogs, and these people can't even come here to make their own voices heard?" I know of people's reservations, but man, that was it?

My dad was telling that today is different from before... Back in the martial law period, people were so sick for so long, that if somthing happened, it will spark the whole nation... But today, people are tired, and things now aren't as bad as before... As it seems, at least today, we have our freedom... So that's why I didn't blog first... But I was disappointed...

And then I went straight to UST for the canvassing of the local college's votes, of which I am a member of a local political party, the Students' Democratic Party... As the results were being announced, I was again disappointed, but now, also disgusted... I didn't even have the heart to look at the proclamation of the president, because I thought it was a joke... Discussing the whole thing is going to be another matter, but the point is, I was thinking "first, the Makati snub, now, we lose to a joke of a party? What has this country become? Even these kids get manipulated and can't even make a stand for themselves... Professors threatening students to run for a position, I'm not surprised if they threatened to flunk a whole class if they didn't vote for their bets.."

I was so sure that I'm going to write a disappointing blog today, but as it turned out, Sunday wasn't half bad... I read an article by Jim Paredes in the Philippine Star, an article he thought that went against his stand of not writing about political stuff, but still he did, because he felt he needed to... An enlightening article by another person was also good education for me... She said that "the moral compass of the Filipino people seem to be affected by our norms. Corruption has been such a norm that we already bend our moral compasses to accomodate it." Well, she might not have said it that exact way, but that was the whole thought of it... All I could say was, "O nga no.."

And then came the mass... People went up the La Salle Gymnasium, and flocked the whole place... I thought I'd just stay downstairs, outside, just to see if people would actually come... And they did... And I don't know what to say... I was happy... The place was crowded, they needed to stay in the cafeteria, and the park, and still it overflowed... Some had to stay on the field, and halfway through the mass, people were still coming... It was touching to see... There were no flags, no militant groups, just people, wanting to show that we are together in prayer... And outside, people were blowing their horns to show support... And it was great to hear... Cory had a message to the people, my uncle thanked the people, but it was really too bad that we downstairs weren't able to hear it because of the crappy sound system...

Overall though, it shone a glimmer of optimism in me... And I sincerely believe that people still do care... And migrating isn't an option just yet...

 

**to those there, I was giving out t-shirts and one of the few who were in yellow in the mass... hopefully, Thomasians will be more visible next time...

15 comments:

  1. hey, i'm Nancy from UP law... don't lose hope just yet. a lot of people believe in what your uncle has been saying. a lot of people want change. i myself am so tired, no, outraged and insulted, by all the lies, deception and threats coming from the government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I've been hearing UP's support right from the start...:D

    now, if UST would just be so kind so as to act rather than confine themselves to prayer... "nasa Diyos ang awa, nasa tao ang gawa..."

    the original EDSA revolution was all about the oppressed, young and old... well, mostly, old... As a wise teacher of mine back in college mentioned (told to me by a classmate) they've "done their part. Now it's the youth's turn to make a stand."...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i guess we need both prayers and action now :D i heard that there will be a mass at the ateneo tomorrow. i hope a lot of people go :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. the turnout in la salle was pretty good, and i think ateneo won't let themselves be outdone... i heard it's at 6pm, so though i would want to be there, i think traffic would prevent me from doing so...but what the heck, i won't know unless i tried, right? let's hear the senate hearing tomorrow, i think it's gonna be a blast with more people and their new stories with them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've read his article too!!! it was nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't worry bro

    kung si erap napabagsak by sms ngayun si gloria mapapabagsak sya by web 2.0 and blogs. mas nakakahiya yun kasi whole world alam mga kagaguhan nya.

    reg ka sa digg.com and digg all your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. my inaction does not mean i'm indifferent or i don't care. i do. and i hope you know that. people have their reasons why they didn't go. i wouldn't want to argue with you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you care. But don't bother justifying inaction. I know you care, and I hope you believe that...

    It's just that I don't want to believe inaction is support, any way I look at it... "Nasa Diyos ang awa, nasa tao ang gawa." Unless we take action, all God can do is watch and guide us... God won't come down from heaven to save us all from this political turmoil... That's why he gave us intellect...

    I don't want to argue either, but I just didn't want to be silent about it.. You're not alone in your line of thought, that's why I felt I needed to say my piece on it...

    Love u Lis.=)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In fairness Voltaire, this is really it. I've always been apolitical and introverted - "selfish" in a sense because I don't really want to work in the system I'm trapped in. Kaso sobra na no? Iba talaga if a person you know is directly affected by something like this. Kaya kahit ako, gagalaw na. Kita kits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kya nga eh... i don't know up to what extent this government is willing to go to in order to cover up their mess... From kidnapping, bribing, to threats, it's just a matter of time before she pulls the plug on her goody-goody image and ask her troops to move... I don't think her tantrums are enough to relieve the stress she's experiencing now.. Di lang nya magawa pa kasi bad trip pa mga sundalo because of the housing project that never was... haha..

    In a desperate attempt, Luli Arroyo wrote a public letter last week insisting that her family never profited from government funds.. keyword: never. Linis nila. Grabe.

    Thanks Trace, and as Dr. Co would say, "i could kiss you for that".. haha..

    I was at Ateneo yesterday for that mass... That's where I got the idea that kya walang pasok on 25 is because she's afraid people might gather... So hopefully, in the next few days, something will happen...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Assuming that they "never" profited from it, it doesn't change the fact that she allowed corruption to exist, if only to make sure her alalays will stay loyal to her because of all the fringe benefits.

    Kaloka. Pati nanay ko nagwawala kapag TV patrol o nakalipat sa ANC ang channel.

    Sige since super blogger ka naman at alam ko ippost mo kung may bagong balita - magbabasa na lang ako at manghihikayat. Sana nga meron sa 25.

    ReplyDelete
  12. to add, yeah, "people power" is not just an "an event where people gather together with the sole intention of toppling down the present government". it is not directed at anything, it simply means the 'power of the people'. we are in a democratic state, a state where the power of the sovereign rests on the people. if you honestly, truly believe that people made the change from suppressed military control to a democratic state back in `86, then make yourself be heard, exercise your right as a sovereign people, and tell the government what must be done.

    let us not let the `86 revolution be just another page in the history books... people went there for change, honor that change now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Assuming that people might have nosebleeds after getting to this reply, ako naman ay magsasalaysay ng aking mga hinaing sa wikang Filipino.

    E tarantado pala sila eh. [What the intro!] Nagka-EDSA Uno para patalsikin ang isang diktador. Mula non, nakita ng mga tao na may epekto pala ang sama-samang kilusan sa harap ni Maria para makapagpataob ng pinuno. At wadapak, inulit nila kay Estrada.

    At nagkamali tayo. Pinalit natin ang pinakamaswerteng puta sa balat ng lupa, at Gusto natin siyang patalsikin, pero ang straps ng high chair niya sa Palasyo ay masyadong mahigpit.

    Nalungkot ako dahil nung may kilos-protesta todits sa UP Manila hours before the interfaith rally, onti lang ang sumama. Grabe para lang silang block. Maraming umayaw, kasi wala silang gagawin. Yung iba, kasi wala silang magagawa. Hindi nila alam na ang boses nila ay maaaring maliit lang, pero ito ay nakapagpapalakas ng sigaw ng bayan ng 10 decibels. Sana'y mamulat ang ating mga kababayan, lalo na ang kabataan [tayo kasi naasign dito e. sila na tumapos nung EDSA Uno] sa mga katotohanan ng pamahalaan.

    ...at nakikita ko ang nakakunot-noo kong nanay na pro-Gloria habang binabasa niya ang mga sinusulat ko.

    ReplyDelete
  14. congratulations sa nanay mo...

    ito na nga yun eh, simpleng kilos. natuto tayong tumakbo sa pa-isa isang hakbang. natuto tayong tumula sa pa-isa isang salita. oo, tila walang magagawa ang iisang boses, pero kung sabay sabay tayong bumulong man lang, eh maingay pa rin ito. sana maintindihan ng mga tao yun para kumilos na sila....

    ReplyDelete
  15. sana nga talaga.

    natuwa ako. andami palang tao sa rally. nakita ko sa inquirer ngayon. Wallpaper siya ng laptop ko as of the moment. Muahahaha.

    ReplyDelete